General

Southern River fire contained

Fire and Emergency services say the fire is now contained. Photo: Marie Gooley.

A rubbish fire in Southern River has now been contained by emergency services.

Starting around 8.30pm, the inferno burned 13,000 square metres of green waste overnight, causing major visibility issues for traffic and air pollution in the Canning Vale area.

The Department of Fire and Emergency Services issued a smoke alert for parts of Southern River and Huntingdale in the City of Gosnells.

No roads were closed despite the smoke and limited visibility .

Fire and Emergency services gave the all-clear this morning.

“It’s all been contained within this site itself and just the pile of green waste that was fully involved,” a fireman said.

Fire and Emergency Services was first notified of the fire by multiple callers to 000. They reported there were flames behind Huntingdale Community Hall.

Canning Vale resident Jessica Heath, 24, was at the Southern River Hockey Club overnight when her fellow committee members called 000 to report the blaze.

“We notified the rest of the committee and immediately sprung into action commencing our emergency procedures to protect our turf which is a $2 million facility that is barely six-months-old,” she said.

“Myself and another gentlemen, Anthony from the committee, then proceeded to open up all the emergency gates to allow access for DFES to gain access to the site of the fire as it was between the hockey club and the archery club”.

Ms Heath said she didn’t see any damage to public or private property or surrounding wildlife.

“The fire seemed to be only present in the green waste compound from initial viewing,” she said.

“The smoke was pretty thick and smelled quite bad being green waste burning. It didn’t affect me, but unsure if it affected anyone else in the area,” she said.

Fire and Emergency Services believe the fire was caused naturally by spontaneous combustion due to the weather conditions in the area.

“Just with the weather conditions that we’ve had, with the humidity and the temperatures we’ve had over the last few days, it’s probably just with it being green and some dry timbers in there, as well it’s most likely spontaneous combustion,” a fireman said.

Categories: General