THE fire was reported around 12pm at Cockatoo Ridge near the Edith Cowan University campus and Joondalup shopping centre on 1 April.
Firefighters, with the help of a type one helicopter and helitacs, managed to gain control over the fire that had burnt nearly 10 hectares of land.
A policeman on the scene also said there was a lot of smoke in the area due to easterly winds causing flair ups.
Fire and Emergency Services Authority advised that people close to the area should be aware of the fire and turn off evaporative airconditioning systems.
Witness and ECU student Stian Abrahamsen said it was scary to see a fire so close to the university.
“It is frightening to think that there might be people starting these fires on purpose, especially this close to the area where people live and go to university,” he said.
Grand Boulevard between Boas Avenue and Collier Pass and parts of the Lakeside Drive were temporarily closed and motorists were advised to avoid the area.